Hola padres! I am so sorry for my lack of posting last week as with field day things got a little thrown off kilter. I was so glad to be able to spend field day with the scholars though! The water games were so fun to watch and I had heard so much about the pirate ship game, it was so fun to finally see it in action. And of course, how can you forget the teacher tug of war games? They are always a favorite!
So let me fill you in on what we have been up to. In first and Kinder we have finally finished the alphabet and the scholars are so excited! The last few letters of the alphabet are a bit more difficult to pronounce than the others, so we have been doing lots of review and practice to solidify those for them. This week we have also integrated some color and number bingo to help review those concepts as well.
In all grades next week, we will be doing a special project of a mother's day card so please be on the lookout for those to come home. Toward the end of the week our schedule changes a bit with grade level concert practices happening so with the classes that I do have we will be discussing Cinco de Mayo and its significance to Mexico.
In third grade this month, we have been studying the country of Paraguay. It has been an exciting lesson as we have learned about the Landfill Harmonic from Cateura, Paraguay, a student orchestra from one of the poorest parts of Paraguay that has learned to perform Mozart and Beethoven on instruments built out of recycled materials from the landfill their town sits next to. It is an amazing story of hope and courage. I showed the students two videos and encourage you to see the documentary entitled Landfill Harmonic. I have not seen it myself but would like to soon. Here is the link for the movie:
http://www.landfillharmonicmovie.com/
For those of you who missed it, I wanted to post again the link for the Panama Canal expansion:
http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/
I have been so impressed with the scholars who have brought information in! I am so glad they have wanted to dig deeper and find out more. We have so enjoyed learning about this together.
Lastly, in second grade the scholars have been learning about segregation. This has tied in beautifully with our study also of Roberto Clemente, the first Hispanic baseball player inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The scholars brought up the similarities of his struggles of segregation and the struggles of Jackie Robinson's. I am so glad when our lessons integrate like this and am so glad to see the connetions the scholars make.
Until next week,
Sra. Hamilton
No comments:
Post a Comment