Monday, November 23, 2015

the next few weeks....

Hola padres! I am so sorry for my late post. Let me catch you up on what we've been doing. Last week in second and third grade, we combined our vocabulary of fruits and prepositional phrases into one activity and worked on describing where one fruit goes in relation to another. The scholars are so persistent in their quest for mastering the tasks I put before them and I am so grateful for their perseverance.

In kinder and first, we are continuing learning the vocabulary of the body and practicing learning it with various games in class. We really have a lot of fun with this and I love seeing the scholars' faces light up when I see that they are understanding what each Spanish word means. We will continue with these concepts in the next few lessons.

In the weeks to come, our schedule will become pretty different than it has been due to concert rehearsals and field trips. Due to this change, I am going to keep Spanish class fun and simple as well as doing any catch up that needs to be done to make sure each class ends up in the same place as the others.  I find this works best with the young scholars as the changes in their routines along with all the hype of the holidays and activities that go along with that wears them out, so keeping Spanish light gives them a bit of a break in their day and lets us all enjoy the rest of our day a little more. There will be review, reading of books and we will also study three Christmas traditions that prevail in Spanish speaking countries: las posadas, el dia de los reyes and the story of the poinsettia. I present these traditions using a beautiful book by Taomi de Paola and enjoy sharing these traditions with the scholars and hope that it gives them a better understanding of the Hispanic culture and what makes these holidays special for them.

In this short week, we are working on getting every class caught up to the right spot in second and third grade and also reading a Thanksgiving story if time allows. In Kinder and first, we are practicing our numbers with a dice game that helps us draw a turkey and we are also reading a Hispanic version of the story of the Little Red Hen. The scholars have really enjoy these activities and it is a fun way to end our short week. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving break!

Sra. Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment