Friday, November 6, 2015

The Heard Museum, body parts and prepositions

Hola padres! It has been a good week of getting back to work! First, I would like to let you all know that the Heard Museum just opened a photographic exhibit of Frida Kahlo's life. First and third grade have both been studying this famous Mexican artist and I am so excited that there is a tangibe activity for them to visit! I do have a bit of a disclaimer though. I have not been to the exhibit yet myself, so I don't know any specific details. There are a few aspects of Frida Kahlo's life that are iffy and not appropriate for children. The book I read to them about her life is child appropriate and only shares those aspects of her life that are appropriate for younger children. That being said, I called the Heard Museum and asked them if the exhibit would be ok for children ages 8 and younger. I was told that there is a nude photograph and also some blood in one of the photos. The scholars are aware that Frida's life was mostly lived in pain due to a terrible bus accident she was in when she was 18. Due to the pain she endured for most of her life, many of her paintings are bloody and not very pretty. This was the way she expressed the physical pain she was in for most of her life. I hope to get to the Heard Museum soon and can let you know more when I visit. I would still encourage you to go see it as I love being able to give the scholars a true life experience of someone we have studied in class. The exhibit runs through February, so we have plenty of time to check it out!

In Kinder and first this week, I introduced the phonogram "CH" as part of the Spanish alphabet and let them know that not everyone considers this phonogram a true letter of the alphabet. I still want them to be aware of it and know that it is a difference from our own alphabet. I also introduced them to the body part words of the face and the "head, shoulders, knees and toes" song. What a fun way to learn the vocabulary!

In second and third grade this week, we learned some prepositional phrases and learned how to use them in a sentence. This is harder for them, but I know they can do it, especially since they are working in partners. Next week, we will continue with this concept.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Sra. Hamilton
ahamilton@archwaytrivium.org

No comments:

Post a Comment