Friday, September 11, 2015

formas, el alfabeto, colores y animales

Hola padres! I hope you have all had a good week! This week in first and kinder, we have continued with our shapes and colors, by playing a fly swatting game to see who can first identify the shape and/or color that has been called out and by drawing a clown by using instructions that use our shape vocabulary. The scholars have really enjoyed this and I can see that the vocabulary is starting to stick. With Kinder this week, I have also started working more with them on the Spanish alphabet. Yesterday, we started with "A" and I hope to work our way to "Z" by the end of the year. This will be my first attempt at this and I hope it doesn't get too mundane for them, but hope it broadens their Spanish vocabulary and helps them to better see the differences between the English and Spanish alphabet. I started this with Kinder last year and wasn't able to finish, so I am contemplating starting it with them again this year in first grade and hope to make it through the end by the end of the school year. We'll see.  First grade started their study of Mexico this week and we mainly talked about the flag and what the design meant. We also studied its geography and what surrounds this vast countrty. Mexico celebrates its independence this month, so I hope to emphasize this with the scholars as well.

I was able to finally pass out the third grade Spanish notebooks from last year! If your scholar is new, I just had them start a new notebook or folder depending on what they had available. In this notebook, we wrote down the vocabulary we've learned so far, mainly animals and colors.  I told them that this notebook is mainly for their reference and for them to see the progress we make by the end of the year. I don't have any special format for them to use as they write their vocabulary; they can write it however is best for them. We set up a notebook as well in second grade and hope that they can carry this notebook on with them next year to third grade. Again, it is more for them to see our progress throughout the year and also just to practice writing which I think helps them remember each word better. Second grade is also studying Mexico this month, while third grade is looking at Colombia.

One concept I've been able to work on with the second and third graders is question words. We've learned "what" and "which" so far and next week will work on "who". Working these individually into the lessons has worked really well in helping the scholars understand the meaning of each word and when it is used.

I have so enjoyed working with your scholars. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sra. Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment